Monday, November 5, 2007

The beginning of my love affair....

The beginning of my love affair....

It was before I even stepped foot in this country when my love affair with Uganda began. Now I won't have to wonder with visionary images of this pearl, since I am blessed to be experiencing it first hand. The people here are absolutely amazing and genuinely kind. While yes, you do have to have your guard up as there are cons everywhere, my experience thus far has just been true. I was fortunate to be seated next to a Ugandan on my flight from London to Entebbe, and it was that moment that I knew Uganda is where I am suppose to be right now. As we arrived in Entebbe and departed the plane, we walked straight out onto the runway, breathing in the fresh air, which I had been deprived of for some 30 hours now, being stuck in airports. I wanted to act calm and collected but my friend from the plane saw the excitement in my eyes and he teased me saying, "I know you just want to get down on your knees and kiss the mother land". He was right, but of course I didn't and just took advantage of the opportunity to observe my first few moments in Uganda. I was kindly greeted at the airport with John from my hotel who drove me for 45 minutes from Entebbe to Kampala. Immediately I noticed the amount of children and happiness amongst people. I commented on this to John and he chuckled, saying "This is Uganda. We love children and we love each other. What is there to be pissed about?" I was as happily greeted at my hotel and Henry was eager to run downtown to buy me a calling card and bottled water, at no extra cost. My first moments, were priceless and set the tone for the next six weeks I will spend here. I love Uganda! Stay tuned and I will upload photos soon!

No comments: